25 Jan 2026, Sunday
25 Jan 206, Sunday
Prioritized Daily Task
10:00 am - Tucker confers the Aaronic Priesthood and ordains Andrew a Deacon
Note: Emil sent last night to all interested parties in the sale and purchase:
Note: Floyd County Health Care /Chulio Hills was Built about 1993. Gateway/White County Nursing Home was built about 1968, according to Aprisial
The CONs, Certificate Of Needs
Call Jan Morris 678-986-1522 and Angenelia 770-773-6394
Emails:
Len McAlpin <lenmcalpin@gmail.com>
Jan 24, 2026, 9:39 PM (10 hours ago)
to rfaulkner, rbarber, James, Shannon, Rick, Holly, Janie, Steven
Dear Jimmy, Shannon, Rick, Holly, and Janie
I had some time to think about your email response, and I appreciate you taking the time to lay out the terms and timeline clearly. I understand why you prefer to communicate by email, and I respect the desire for clarity and fairness for everyone involved.
I also want to speak honestly, and I hope you will receive this in the spirit it is intended.
I realize that at my age, people may look at me differently than they once did. I understand that. But inside, I am still the same man I have always been. I am still thinking, still working, still caring deeply about what I helped build, and I am not ready for that to simply end.
Your fathers were not just my business partners; they were two of my closest friends. Together, we worked hard, trusted one another, and built something that allowed all our families to be taken care of. I have always treated your mothers with the same respect and care I had for your fathers, and until recently, I believed we all shared that mutual understanding.
When I learned that the business was being sold out from under me, it hurt deeply. I pushed back not out of stubbornness, but because it felt like my life’s work, and the memories tied to it, were being taken away without regard for what it meant to me.
I did not build this business with the idea that it would simply disappear when I got older. I built it believing it would last beyond me.
I built the Floyd building with my own hands. I was there hauling bricks. I had my boys alongside me, carrying materials for the masons. We planted trees together. That building is not just an asset on a balance sheet to me, it represents a lifetime of work, sacrifice, and family.
When I read the offer that was sent, it felt less like an opportunity and more like an attempt to make it impossible for me to succeed. You have told me that you simply want out of the business, and I understand and respect that. But I am not finished. My work, my vision, and my purpose are not finished.
Originally, I approached you about purchasing one nursing home because that is how the business was structured for many years. You made it clear that you would only consider selling them as a package. I accepted that, and I am working in good faith to do exactly what you are asking.
That said, I need you to understand something very clearly and very honestly: there is no realistic way to close on two nursing homes in 30 days. I am working with one of the largest and most experienced nursing home financing companies in the country, Berkadia. I started working on it promptly, as you know, through all our email chains, that I am taking this seriously. I understand Berkadia has completed its underwriting and is prepared to move forward. They have closed thousands of facilities, and they have told me they have never closed one in 30 days or less. They have also told me they have never seen a fully non-refundable deposit required under circumstances like this, because no lender in the country can complete underwriting and closing in that timeframe.I am not asking for special treatment. I am asking for reasonableness and good faith, something your fathers and I always extended to one another.
I want to do right by your families. I want you to be able to move on, as you’ve said you wish to do. But I am asking that you not make it impossible for me to finish what I started, or to honor what your fathers and I built together.
I have asked my counsel, Richard Faulkner of Baker Donelson in Chattanooga, to contact Steven Cornelison on my behalf to assist with the legal formalities. They are extremely experienced in closing transactions in the Nursing Home industry.
I hope we can find a path forward that respects everyone involved and reflects the history we share.
Sincerely,
Len
In response, I received this email this morning.
'James Morris
7:45 AM (31 minutes ago)
to me, Shannon, Rick, Holly, Janie, Steven, rfaulkner@bakerdonelson.com, rbarber@bakerdonelson.com
Len,
I appreciate that you took the time to express your feelings and concerns about the issues with A&M. I hope I may be able to relieve some of your anxiety by explaining things a little more clearly.
It appears from the wording of your email, "When I learned that the business was being sold out from underneath me...", that you may have misunderstood the nature of the sale. An outside party came to me in November and offered to purchase only Mom and the Abercombie's 2/3 of A&M. They did not offer to purchase the entire LLC. You would (will) still retain your 1/3 interest. In other words, nothing would change as far as your interest were concerned. The offer made to you was per the Operating Agreement that all of the members signed when the LLC was created (Right of First Offer). Even though Mom and the Abercrombies have approached you with similar offers several times in the past, the Agreement required that you be granted the Right to match the offer made for other members' interests (section 14.01). The time limits in the offer are those expressed in the Agreement. The requirement for the earnest money was, I believe, added because the several times in the past that I referenced previously (including the offer from you at the annual meeting) have been stretched out and always ended in frustration. The outside party that approached us made the offer as it was presented to you. They wish to purchase the 2/3 interest of the other members, and A&M would continue as it has. Once the transaction is completed, you and the other member can discuss your goals or how/ if you wish to restructure the LLC. It is my understanding that the other party wishes to continue with the operations of the homes as they are. Your "work, vision, and purpose" will not end to my knowledge.
As to the underwriting/ closing by Berkadia; you emphasized that they had completed their underwriting. If they told you that never closed one in 30 days or less, then you may have misunderstood what they were saying. It is entirely understandable that they could not complete due-diligence AND close within 30 days. Seeing as how they have completed the underwriting, though, there should be no issue with closing. That time frame, again from the Agreement, is not an unreasonable time frame. The outside party has stated that they would be able to comply with it.
I have emailed your counsel, Mr. Faulkner, and provided him with the name of an associate of Mr. Cornelison that was briefed by Mr. Cornelison on the details of the transaction. Mom still retains counsel through Stewart, Melvin, and Frost and they will continue to represent her in any future endevours.
Mom and Mrs. Abercrombie have both expressed their desires to move on from the uncertainty of the Long Term Care industry in Georgia. They were presented with a legitimate offer for their interests in A&M and have elected to pursue it. They are looking to protect their families' futures by removing themselves from a rather volatile industry while they are still in a position to do so. If you truly wish to "do right" by them, then you will accept this and either abide by the requirements or, accept the sale of their interests and work with the new member.
Jim'
I got up at 6:30 am and had prayer, showered, shaved, and got ready for church in San Clemente this morning. I called and talked to Debbie. She told me about her day yesterday and her plans for today and the week. We had prayer together. I told her a little about the situation with A&M, the two nursing homes in Georgia that are involved in the sale to me. I told her it is in the Lord's hands. I feel a little like Daniel and his 3 friends in Babylonia with the lions and the furnace of fire with no apparent way out. It is in the Lord's hands; let him do as He sees good. I will trust in Him no matter what the final outcome is. I left and drove up to the church in San Clemente at 9:45am. Kent, Cyd, and JC Davis were already there. Beth came with Tucker, Maggie, and Andrew. We went in the Bishop's office and Tucker conferred the Aaronic Priesthood, ordained Andrew a Deacon, and gave him a blessing, acting under the direction of Bishop Jeff Willardson of the Vista Hermosa Ward of the San Clemente Stake. Kent, Bishop Willardson, and I stood in the circle with Tucker, a Priest in the Aaronic Priesthood. Later in the sacrament meeting, Tucker helped with three other priests who blessed the bread and water, and Andrew, four other Deacons passed the sacrament. Andrew passed the bread to the family, but another Deacon passed the water to us. Bill Simmons was here and came up to me. He first met me in the Atlanta Temple when I officiated in an endowment session. Note: The stake high councilman, Christopher Carlin, MD, Dermatologist in San Clemente, was the concluding speaker in the Sacrament meeting. He told the story "Clean Hands Don't Come From Dirty Water", a young mother's son went to the bathroom. When he came back, she checked his hands, and they were dry. He told her the sink was broken and he could not get any water to wash his hands. The next week, her youngest son wanted to go to the bathroom. When he came back his hands were dripping water. His mother asked him why his hands were so wet. He told her the sink in the bathroom was broken and did not work. He said he went over to the big commode and washed his hands. Sometimes, innocent people want to be cleansed from sin and go to dark and misleading places to be cleansed. Moroni 10:4 And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost, (which is light and truth, and through the atonment of Christ you can become clean, and pure). After church, Andrew rode home with me, and Tucker and Magie rode home with Beth. Beth made sandwiches for lunch. I changed out of my church suit, white shirt, and tie, and into jeans and a cotton shirt. Matthew called and told me he had been in communication with our attorneys. Because of the agreement I am supposed to have signed in May 2015, there is not much we can do. I told him not to worry about it and to spend time with the girls and Melodie. I tried to call Jan Morris and left a message for her, and also Angela. There was not answer so I left a message one each of their phones to call me back. I did not mention extending the lease on Chulio Hill, N.H., or bringing the lease up to HUD requirements. Beth put the NFL Los Angeles Rams and Seattle Seahawks championship football game on TV. Tucker gave me his room, and he is sleeping on the couch tonight. I called Debbie and we had prayer together before going to bed about 10 pm.
Note: The Lord has given us all gifts. He said now use them to bless those around you. Anciently, the older brother would receive an extra portion of inheritance because he was expected to take care of his mother and sisters. Those of us today have been given an extra portion from those around us, and we are expected to help those less fortunate and in need. It is only fair for the Lord to ask this of us because that is exactly the reason he gave it to us.
He also gives us tailored sacrifices because of how it is going to bless us. It is going to mold us in specific ways that we need to become more like the savior. We make that sacrifice acceptable by putting our heart into it.



Comments
Post a Comment