29 Jan 2026, Thursday

29 Jan 2026, Thursday

Prioritized Daily Task 

5:10 AM - 1st shift Saratoga Springs Temple (David Meine to replace me)

7:00 am - Richard "Rich" Faulkner introduced us to a phone conference with Mike Haskew, Senior Vice President.                       Builtwell Bank, 728 Broad Street, Chattanooga, TN 37402                   Direct: (423) 668-4771    Fax: (423) 668-4895      Mobile: (423) 645-6005   Email: mike.haskew@builtwell.bank

Check the US Postal Service tracking 9589071052702988691413 for the delivery of a package to: Georgia Unclaimed Property Division in Atlanta (It arrived today and was signed for). "Your item was delivered to an individual at the address at 2:55 pm on January 29, 2026, in ATLANTA, GA 30349."

I woke at 6 am.  Matthew came over and sent the financials on the two nursing homes in Georgia before our meeting this morning with Mike Haskew and his associates.   I showered and got dressed before having my personal prayer.  At 7:00 am Pacific Time and 10:00 am Eastern Time, Matthew and I talked to Mike Haskew with Builtwell Bank in Chattanooga, TN.  He wants much of the same information we sent Ed Williams with Berkshire Bank.  He said he would get back to us with an answer in 24 hours.  The window washers came to wash the windows here while Melodie took the girls to school.  Matthew was on a phone call with companies that want Matthew to explain his software.  I worked on editing my 1985 journal.  Richard Angel texted a request to exchange his 1st shift on April 21st for mine on April 2nd at the Saratoga Springs Temple.  I sent an emal to Jan, Angelenah, and Brandy at Reliable today;  <lenmcalpin@gmail.com>

to Brandy, angelenah, (Andy) Jan

Hi Jan, Brandy, and Angelena,

I wanted to personally and officially let you know that I am in the process of purchasing my former partners’ ownership interests in the buildings. This has been something I’ve been working toward for nearly four years, and I’m grateful that we were finally able to reach an agreement and bring this chapter to a close.

My intention throughout this process has been simple and consistent: I did not want these buildings to drift away or be separated from the operations that have grown within them. Keeping everything together has always been important to me, and I believe it is important to Reliable as well. That goal is the same one I had when I first started working with Floyd nearly fifty years ago.

I have always had a vested interest in Reliable. When I turned the facilities and receivables over to Andy many years ago, I did so because I wanted him to succeed. I didn’t ask for ownership in Reliable at the time. I simply wanted to give him the opportunity I was once given myself. Andy took that opportunity and built something meaningful, and I was proud of what we accomplished together.

Andy and I always worked well because we shared the same alignment of interests. We spoke openly, returned each other’s calls, and addressed issues as they arose. That trust and cooperation mattered to me then, and it still does now.

I wanted to be sure you heard this directly from me, in case A&M Investments has not already communicated our agreement. I am excited to continue working with Reliable and with each of you. With the uncertainty around ownership now resolved and Reliable making strong strides over the past year, I believe these two paths coming together again will put us in a stronger position moving forward.

I tried calling a couple of times because I wanted to share this personally and make sure everyone knew that I still view us as one team. To me, success for Reliable means success for the residents, success for the operations, and success for the buildings that support them.

My Grandma Thrash used to say that life is like a three-legged stool. It only stands when all three legs are strong. In our case, those legs are the residents, the operations, and the buildings. If we stay aligned on all three, the whole thing stands solid.

I’m optimistic about this next chapter and hopeful that we are all willing to continue working together with that same spirit of cooperation. I remain willing to do my part and provide whatever support is needed, and I trust that this commitment is shared.

I don't have Jan's current email; I only have Andy's. Could you pass this along to Jan in case she doesn't receive Andy's emails?  

Thank you, and I look forward to many more years of working together.

Warm regards,  Len

Jan Morris called me back at about 3:10 pm.  She was very nice and appoliged for not calling me back.  She was waiting for her attorneys to OK her calling me.  I told her she does not need any attorney's or anyone's approval to talk to me.  We had a good visit.  She told me about the health problems she has with heart valves and being in the hospital.  I asked her what her goals are.  She opened up and told me about buying out the ESOP and paying the employees their money.  I told her that is very commendable; others would not and have not treated their employees fairly.  She said that is also what Andy wanted.  She has put Reliable and all the companies under Select Health Care and hired Karen Forrister as the CEO and. David Lemcke as CFO.  I told her I am buying the interest, Janie, and the Abercrombies have in A&M Investment and the two nursing homes, Floyd and Gateway.  I want to get the purchase in a HUD loan, and the Sandmont lease needs to be renewed now, and I want the lease in a lease that is approved by HUD.  The home will need to be replaced someday, and I would like it to be a HUD loan.  I asked her if she would help us get all the leases into a HUD-formatted lease.  She said she would and would tell Karen Forrister and David Lemcke to also help.  She said the Snovus Bank loan comes due in. November 28, I think, is the day, 2026.  I told her that the lease with the Rockmart Nursing Home will also have to meet HUD criteria or requirements for a lease.  I told her I would get her the HUD requirement for a nursing home loan.  Matt and Melodie took the dogs for a walk.  I stayed home with the girls.  Debbie called and worked at the temple today and was on her way up to Twin Falls for the Baby Shower and Baby Sprinkle.  Melodie made soup with sourdough bread.  I had prayer and got to bed at about 11:00 pm.  Matthew was on the phone working with his developers.  After praying tonight and thanking Heavenly Father, it came into my mind that the Lord softened Jan's heart toward me today.  No man or nothing I could say would have turned her from hardness and sometimes bitterness to kindness and a willingness to help.

Comments