8 Feb 2026, Sunday
8 Feb 2026, Sunday
Prioritized Daily Task
2:10 pm - priesthood ministering interview at Lehi 7th Ward Building
Note: The Stand Forever series is about believing and following Christ to the end, engaged in His work, and helping others do the same. In Episode one, we see the big picture. Few things provide greater comfort, confidence, and clarity than looking beyond present cares to see the big picture. When we stand back, it looks like this: 1. The essential problem in life is separation from God our Father, resulting in chaos, darkness, and death. 2. Jesus Christ bridges the gap if we will believe and follow Him to the end engaged in His work and help others do the same. He is the Way offsetting chaos, the Truth offsetting darkness, and the Life offsetting death. 3. Therefore, cross the bridge and close the gap; believe and follow Christ to the end, engaged in His work, and help others do the same. The kingdom and purposes of God will not fail but stand forever. The question is whether you will. To that end, we invite you to join us on this journey and Stand Forever. Scott Woodward and Casey Griffiths (*Please Watch - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPnO2QEPrPg)
I was up at 7:30 am, had prayer, showered, shaved, and got dressed for church services. Debbie is awake but wants to rest some more before getting up. I sent an email, A God Who Weeps, to some of the family this morning. The one above I will send when last year's 2025 Notes and Quotes is printed, and I mail a copy to each family. Debbie and I had some breakfast before going to our Ward Conference at noon. When we got in, and the music started, Debbie and I saw we had a text with a Zoom link from Beth in San Clemente, CA. She is speaking at her Stake Conference. I put my phone on the bench beside me with the volume turned down so as not to disturb our ward meeting. After the sacrament was passed, Bishop Soderquist spoke first, and our *Stake President, Trey Weston Orsak, was the concluding speaker. We prosper by degrees. We climb a ladder one rung at a time. The president's 9-year-old daughter loves to play, but it was late, and he wanted her to go to bed. He suggested to her to come to bed so she can get up early in the morning and play, and not be tired. She said, "But dad I don't want to go to bed." It is the same principle as getting an education so you can prosper in life, or climb a ladder to reach heights that would be unattainable otherwise. His daughter could say, I don't want to go to school, or I don't want to climb a ladder. The Lord has given us our free agency to choose, but we can't choose our consequences. They are attached to our choices. We got home, and Rae Lynn and Beth returned my call from earlier today. Beth sent me a copy of the talk she gave in her stake conference. Kylie came up from Provo and had dinner with us: roast beef, potatoes, mixed vegetables, and rolls. I studied scriptures in the Book of Joshua in the Old Testament. Note: "Not one of all the LORD’s good promises to Israel failed; every one has been fulfilled." Joshua 21:45
I can say the same thing; all the good promises the Lord has made to me have been fulfilled, or are being fulfilled. The Lord is not slack in keeping His promises. 2 Peter 3
Note: BETH'S TALK in her stake conference today: Good morning. My name is Beth Davis, and my children and I are in the Vista Hermosa Ward. We love our ward family so much. I believe a bishop and his family can set the tone for a ward family- and Jeff and Wendy do this so beautifully.
I have three children. My son, Tucker, is 18 and a senior at SCHS. He’s enjoying seeing the college acceptances coming in, but plans to serve a mission at the end of this summer. My daughter, Maggie, is 14 and a freshman at SCHS. She loves learning the Spanish language almost as much as she loves playing soccer. And my son, Andrew, is 12 and in sixth grade at Vista Del Mar…he loves art, legos, golf and apparently Gordon Ramsey. (Gordon James Ramsay is a Scottish chef, restaurateur, writer, and television personality. He's known for his acclaimed restaurants, cookbooks, and fiery temper on TV cooking shows.) Andrew just turned 12 this week and asked me to make him a Beef Wellington for his birthday dinner. That was daunting, but I think preparing to speak in Stake Conference has been just as intimidating- I’m not a cook, nor am I qualified to be up here today but prayers were answered and the beef wellington was great, so I’m hoping my prayers will be answered and the spirit will share my message with you today.
Growing up in Georgia, I often heard — and said — the phrase “Bless your heart” or “Bless his or her heart.” It was a way to soften a blow before taking a little dig. You could keep your Southern charm while still making your point.
My dad, bless his heart, also has a favorite saying these days. When he’s tired of hearing anyone complain about little things, he’ll say in his sweet southern accent, “Well, thank the Lord and move on.”
I’ve realized over the past few years that it’s his polite way of saying, “Pull up your big girl pants and get over it, and don’t forget to thank God for the opportunity to grow.” He’s 82 now, so I guess I don’t blame him. He’s had an earful from me over the years and has been a loving and caring father my entire life. The advice to thank God for my trials and frustrations has been a huge gift to me throughout my life.
I loved growing up in Georgia. People were friendly and kind — from the waitress at Waffle House to the dean of my high school. I always felt surrounded by genuine goodness. Neighbors wave even if they don’t know you. I miss that! But my sister feels differently. She didn’t like growing up there and thinks many of the people were disingenuous.
We grew up in the same house, with the same parents, the same schools, the same ward — and yet we remember it completely differently. We had different experiences, and she and I are both so different in general, but while we disagree on our perception of GA, we still love each other dearly.
Now, I’m not sure how my brothers feel about growing up in Georgia, I’m sure they have mixed feelings, but again, we grew up in the same house, same parents, same schools, same ward and yet, for personal reasons, they have chosen to step away from the church while my sister and I have chosen to stay.
That has taught me something valuable: People can live in the same environment and walk away with very different experiences, views and perceptions.
I recently heard an interview on the Faith Matters podcast with Jeff Strong, a former mission president and executive at Johnson & Johnson. He explained why people who stay in the Church and people who leave sometimes struggle to understand each other.
He described a situation in which two people learn about a troubling part of Church history. They attend the same meetings, hear the same talks in conference, follow the same prophet, and have the same scriptures. Yet one chooses to leave, and one chooses to stay.
Why is that?
Both may feel confused, hurt, or disappointed. But one may already feel disconnected, unsupported, or spiritually empty. So leaving feels like the best choice for them.
Whereas, on the other hand, the other person understands the issue is troubling and hard to process, but the experiences they are having at church are spiritually fulfilling and uplifting, and the sense of community they feel is so strong, that is what tethers them to the church and why they choose to stay as they work through their questions.
Six years ago, when I separated from my ex and later divorced, I was in shock. I was confused. I was incredibly overwhelmed. I was almost done with my Master's Program at USC and wasn’t sure whether to defer my final semester or finish. I felt alone, and suddenly, the responsibility of raising my children in the gospel was mine alone. It all felt so heavy.
Church had barely gone online, and my kids and I had just moved here from Northern CA. I was trying to figure out how to help them find friends during a shutdown. I was trying to keep their heads above water as I was drowning. I wasn’t even sure who I was now that I was on my own and what my place in the church looked like. If I ever wanted an excuse to leave, this was it.
During these first few years post-separation and divorce, I was also processing new realities in my own McAlpin family, including the blessing of hearing that two of my sweet nephews are gay. I found myself wrestling with God on so many issues, and I was heartbroken when my brothers stepped away from the church.
They are the most loving brothers anyone could have. My siblings and I are so close and always look out for each other.
I knew God gave me my free agency. I could leave too.
But I kept asking: Why does it have to be so black and white? Why can’t I stay and ask questions? Why can’t I struggle and still belong? Why can’t I wrestle with God and remain in His Church?
I’ve gotten to know people over the years who have been through their own experience of divorce…I’ve learned that not all divorces are the same. Some of these people have stayed active and others have stepped away. Some people have had strong support from their wards and others haven’t. I can testify to you that a supportive ward family really really does make a difference.
I’m so grateful for the people in my ward who didn’t look past me…It’s not easy to include someone who is new, let alone a single parent. The Budge’s and the Halverson’s who invited the kids and I over for Sunday dinner was such a blessing. They had no idea how much that meant to me. Marty and Linda Garff were my lifeline and brought love to our home every time they visited. Hearing stories from Ben Ward, Colton Lee, (Cameron Darby) and others who were raised by single mothers.
Catherine Bingham’s faith and light were so powerful as she shared her testimony in our ward. And of course, I will be eternally grateful to a bishop, Jeff Willardson, who has continually reminded my son,Tucker, of his value and worth over the years. I could go on and on about the importance of being a part of this community, But those are just a few examples that have tethered me to the Church.
Being a single parent at church can be painful. Sitting among “ideal” families when your own family looks different can reopen wounds. The loss feels sharper. The loneliness feels heavier.
But I know wounds hurt most before they can heal, and they take time.
And the healing balm of the Savior is real because I have felt His healing power through the Atonment bless me as I feel whole again when I attend church now- even without a husband. It’s not something I can explain. Nothing spiritual can be explained because it’s so personal. You can’t prove or disprove my spiritual experiences with any scientific reasoning. I’ve learned how to let God prevail in my life.
When my ex was stationed at camp pendelton almost 20 years ago, we were in Gary Hadley then Joe Croft’s ward at the time, I still remember Brother Christianson’s Sunday school lesson about the Woman at the Well, and I’ve never forgotten it. This woman was so inspiring and quickly became one of the greatest examples in my life. It took this woman time to recognize the Savior. It took time, but she kept asking questions, she stayed with Him and continued to converse with Him until she finally saw that He was the Savior of the World. He also stayed with her and was patient with her. I am that woman, not perfect, a bit rough around the edges, but I chose to stay by Him, and now I testify of Him and His love for everyone.
Elder Kearon once said, “God is in relentless pursuit of you. He wants all of His children to choose to return to Him and He employs every possible measure to bring you back.”
It’s so true…He has given us as much as He possibly can without lifting the veil. As the saying goes though, “You can lead a horse to water, but you can’t force it to drink.” We have been brought to the water.
It’s right in front of us and just as Christ tells the woman at the well, “But Whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst.” That is what I want for my entire family. My kids are worth it, and always have been…Why would I deny something like that for them?
Elder Holland once said that our children will be blessed vicariously through the covenants we make with the Savior. I’ve already seen this!
Because of my children, I chose to stay by my Savior, constantly asking Him not to give up on me…begging Him to be the partner I need as I raise them.
And I know the Savior promised:
“Come unto me… and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn of me; and ye shall find rest unto your souls” (Matthew 11:28).
That invitation is open to everyone:
For every imperfect soul trying again.
And if you are here, and you are strong, and your faith has kept you here, don’t give up on those you think have been sifted out with the tares. God wants them back in His wheat field to be gathered with us. We are here to gather Israel. Don’t give up on anyone who has left. Love them sincerely, and be understanding, because I believe the words of Christ when he says in Mathew 19:26, “with God All things are Possible,” and that brings me peace when I think of my family.
These things I say in the name of Jesus Christ; Amen.
Comments
Post a Comment