23 Jun 2026, Tuesday

23 Jun 2026, Tuesday 

Prioritized Daily Task

Autrey Hobbs' 16th Birthday

1:30 pm - Lehi Family History Center, Thanksgiving Point, Lehi,          Scan 1983, 1987, and 1990 journals.                                                                   Randy Bryson - Para Script, Handwriting OCR CONTACT,  AI company, HandwritingOCR.com  (https://www.parascript.com/contact/).            Technical Support Phone: (720)-807-0952

Request Technical Support >  Individual Email* lenmcalpin@gmail.com

Please enter a different email address. This form does not accept addresses from gmail.com.

 Maybe better to use Google'Gemini  (I need help)

https://gemini.google.com/app

*Michael: James L  McAlpin Journal 2018 - GUTS 2up - CMYK (It has the same data side by side.  Just need it once and larger.

Email from Randy Bryson: 

Hi Len, (I'll start calling you Len now 😀)

The results weren't too bad. I would give it between 70-85% accurate. I took 5 pages of journal entry and inserted that pdf file into Gemini and told it to
"transcribe these handwritten pages into machine readable text. These are from a handwritten journal."

The results are attached as "Transcribed 5 pages.docx"
The original 5 pdf pages are attached as "AG Scanned 1983 Extract[19-23].pdf

Elder Nagata and I compared the two the best we could, but even he and I couldn't make out all of the handwritten text. The results varied between pages depending out how good the writing was. They varied between 70% accuracy for some pages, to roughly 85% for other pages. Given my experience with other OCR products, I felt this was pretty good, and maybe the best you're going to get.

I then asked it how much could we expect to process at a time. The answer to that was 

"how many pages like this could I do at a time with you transcribing abilities and resources?

Based on my processing capacity and the layout of this specific document, you can typically submit 5 to 10 pages at a time in a single prompt for transcription.

While I can technically handle longer files (such as a 20-page PDF), uploading your journal in smaller batches of around 5 to 10 pages ensures the highest level of accuracy for a few practical reasons:

  • Attention to Detail: Handwritten text requires a lot of context clues and careful "reading." Shorter segments allow me to focus intensely on the nuances of the handwriting without missing words or skipping lines.
  • Output Limits: Transcribing text takes up a significant amount of output space. Keeping submissions to around 5 to 10 pages guarantees that the final text won't get cut off mid-sentence due to maximum response lengths.
  • Formatting Quality: It makes it much easier to maintain the exact layout, page breaks, and structural elements of your journal (like tracking the dates and numbered goals).

If you have the rest of "AG Scanned 1983 Extract[19-23].pdf" or similar files ready, feel free to drop the next batch of pages whenever you like! Would you like to proceed with the next section of the journal?"

I then asked "what would be the best way to transcribe 400 pages?"

"Transcribing a 400-page handwritten journal is a wonderful project, but doing it manually or trying to upload it all at once can quickly become overwhelming.

Because handwritten documents require careful verification, the best approach is a hybrid workflow: use an AI tool to do the heavy lifting in structured batches, and use a master document to track your progress.

Here is the most efficient step-by-step strategy to tackle a project of this size:

1. Batch the Files into Bitesize Sections

Do not try to work with a single 400-page file. Split your master PDF into smaller, manageable chunks.

  • The Sweet Spot: Break the 400 pages into 20 to 40 separate PDFs (about 10 to 20 pages each).
  • Why this works: It keeps file sizes small, prevents uploading errors, and gives you natural milestones so you don't burn out.

2. Establish a Master Document

Before you start transcribing, set up a single master digital file (like a Google Doc or Word document).

  • Create a simple progress tracking table at the very top: | Batch Name | Page Range | Status | Notes / Key Events Covered | | :--- | :--- | :--- | :--- | | Extract 19-23 | Pages 1–5 | Done | 1983 New Year's, Family Goals, Travel | | Extract 24-40 | Pages 6–22 | Not Started | |
  • As you transcribe each batch, copy and paste the clean text directly into this master document under clear headings (e.g., ## Pages 6–20).

3. Use an Iterative "Prompt & Review" Loop

When you are ready to transcribe a batch with an AI model, use a structured three-step loop:

  • Step 1: The Feed: Upload your 10-to-20-page PDF batch and provide a strict instruction prompt.

Prompt Example: "Transcribe the handwritten text in this PDF verbatim. Maintain the exact page breaks using markdown headers (e.g., ### Page 6). If a word is completely illegible, insert '[illegible]' in its place."

  • Step 2: The Verification: Don't just blindly copy the output. Skim the generated text against 2 or 3 random pages of the original handwriting to ensure dates, names, and tricky words are being captured accurately.
  • Step 3: The Log: Copy the verified text into your master document and mark that batch as "Done."

4. Handle Illegible Words at the Very End

Handwriting often includes faded ink, smudges, or unique cursive quirks that AI might misinterpret or skip.

  • Don't waste 10 minutes staring at a single blurry word during the initial transcription phase. Just let the AI insert a placeholder like [?] or [illegible].
  • Once all 400 pages are fully converted to digital text, use your word processor's Find function (Ctrl+F or Cmd+F) to search for [ or illegible.
  • Go through those specific spots in a single pass. Often, having the context of the surrounding pages makes it much easier to guess what those stubborn words actually were.

By breaking the 400 pages into 20-page milestones, you can easily finish the entire journal in a few short sessions without losing track of your formatting or accuracy."

I reasoned that a year would be about 400 pages.

So I hope this gives you a fairly decent idea of doing your project with Gemini AI. This certainly is a cheaper way of doing it than with paying HandwritingOCR.com.

https://www.handwritingocr.com/#pricing

Best regards,

Randy Bryson
Tech Chair

Lehi FSC

Debbie was up early and went to exercise at 6 am.  I got up at 6:30 am, had prayer, did some push-ups and stretches, showered, and shaved.  I went to the FHC here in Lehi.  I finished scanning the rest of my handwritten journals.  Randy Bryson took my scanned 1983 journal home to see how Google's Geneni will work, transcribing my handwriting.  He emailed the above information.   I came home about 1:00am and had lunch.   I talked to Matthew; Jan has not signed the leases; she said they were too long.  Matt has called Unclaimed Properties at the GA Dept. of Revenue and left messages.  They have not called back.  I sent him more information, names of people I talked to at Unclaimed Property at the Georgia Dept of Revenue, and pictures of my 1984 and 1988 journals handwritten where I worked with Jack in purchasing Valley View and changing Doing Business As Moroni Health Care/Older American Care Corporation.  Debbie called, and she, Jody, and the girls went to a musical in SLC. I studied scriptures earlier, watched TV, Raising the Bar: The Alma Richards Story, had prayer, and went to bed.  I called Sandra Rhodes


Comments