6 Aug 2026, Thursday

6 Aug 2026, Thursday

Prioritized Daily Task

5:10am 1st shift Saratoga Springs Temple

Note: The state of Georgia was officially organized as a U.S. state on January 2, 1788, when it became the fourth state to ratify the U.S. Constitution. Previously, the territory was established as a British colony when King George II granted a charter in 1732, with the first settlement in Savannah founded in 1733.

        Georgia uses two types of sectional divisions in locating properties within the state: Headrights and Landlots. Before the early 1800's the eastern part of the state was considered the headrights section. The other portion at the time was occupied by the various tribes of Indians. As the Indians were relocated, land was divided up into land lots. When these lands became available, a lottery drawing was performed to sell off the land lots. This GIS dataset contains the land lot section of the state.

Haralson County was established January 26, 1856. It was created by an act of the Georgia General Assembly from parts of Carroll and Polk counties and is the state's 113th county. Georgia has 159 counties, which is the second-highest number of any state in the nation, trailing only Texas. 

Haralson County's MILITIA DISTRICTS:              

653    Tallapoosa City

813    District Line/Liberty

1143-1145  Buchanan

1074    Little Creek

1077    Mountain View

1426    Waco

1475    Coalson/Frasures Chapel

1225    Buncombe

1335    Felton

1512    Poplar Springs

1572    Newsville

1145    Buchanan

1574    Steadman

1215

1585    Draketown

1572    Newsville; The Newsville District, designated as Georgia Militia District (GMD) 1572, is a historical minor civil division in Haralson County, Georgia. Like other GMDs, it served historically for local military enrollment, property tax collection, elections, and U.S. Census enumeration.

I was up before 3am, had prayer, showered, shaved, and got ready.  Debbie woke, showered, and got ready for the temple this morning.  I sliced an apple and set the crunchy peanut butter out with our supplement drinks.  We had prayer together before driving to the Saratoga Springs Temple at 5:10am.  After the temple, Debbie and I came home.  I called Dr. Nuttall's office and have a consultation appointment at 1:30pm Thursday, Aug. 13th.  He will not order any tests until I come in and see him.  I worked on trying to learn who the family is that died of the plague in the 1890s and is buried in the William Alexander and Mannah McAlpin Old Indian Graveyard.  The 1890 Census was destroyed in the 1921 fire that occurred on January 10, 1921, in the basement of the U.S. Department of Commerce Building (then called the Commerce Building) in Washington, D.C. The blaze and the thousands of gallons of water used to put it out destroyed or severely damaged roughly 99% of the 1890 U.S. Federal Census population schedules.  What I am trying to do is learn who the people were that lived in Newsville, Haralson County, Georgia, in 1880 and 1900.  Those who were not on both censuses are prospects.  To narrow down the list, I will see the route the census taker took to visit each family and can further narrow the list. Ellie and Clara, two granddaughters, came over to spend the night with Grandma Debbie before they go off to college. George Gourley bought Clara, his daughter, a new hybrid SUV to take with her to school.  Jared, Porter, and Tate came over early and worked on the upstairs.  The remodeling project is just about finished.  I had prayer with Debbie, and she went to bed.  I stayed up working on editing my journals that have been transcribed for a handwritten format until 12:30 am.

Comments